6 SEO Tips for your Cricket Blog. How to increase Google Traffic for your Cricket Blog
Note: This article is part of CricBlog’s Blogging Tips series. I explore my strategies and approach in more detail (such as writing tips, building social media following and Google Search traffic) in my free E-Book!
Download it today to learn more about the world of blogging!
Social media is important for getting your blog noticed and driving traffic to it. However, Google Search is the traffic you want to be getting.
There are a few key reasons for this. First, search engine traffic is constant. Second, you are in front of people who search for the content you provide. Third, potential advertisers want to see what your authority is like (more on that here).
6 Search Engine Optimization Tips
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is crucial to a strong blog! The better your SEO, the more visitors you attract, the more page views you achieve and the more positive you become.
There are some key strategies I use to increase my organic search traffic each month that you can apply to your own blog.
Also read: Looking to start your own blog? 5 key things to keep in mind
- Produce ‘evergreen’ content: ‘Evergreen’ means content that will be relevant even 6-12 months from now. Cricket match previews, for example, are good to build strong traffic before a match. However, they aren’t relevant after a match is complete. Cricket tips, on the other hand, are relevant for a long time. In addition to previews (if you choose to), ensure you have ‘evergreen’ content on your blog.
- Pick your niche: Cricket is a broad topic. There is so much you could write on. Do you want to provide tips for cricketers? Or fantasy players? You can figure out who you want to target depending on how much time you have for blogging each week.
- Keyword research: You need to know what people are searching for and write to solve the problem they have! Tools such as SEMRush and TheHoth are brilliant. They enable you to search a range of keywords and see the volume, cost per click and competition on each keyword. More on that in my free E-Book you can download here.
- Focus on strong linking: One of the best ways to increase SEO is to have other sites link to yours. Of course, you need to be committed to producing strong content that other websites want to link to.
- Meta descriptions and alt text: Meta descriptions are the descriptions under your article when people come across it in Google search. Alt text (alternative text) describes the function of images on your page. Visually impaired users benefit from alt text. Also, search engine crawlers can index an image properly with appropriate alt text. Make sure you have your keyword in these.
- Focus on your keyphrase: Most importantly, focus on your keyphrase! Make sure you mention it enough throughout your article (but not too much to ruin the flow of your work). Also, Google prefers in-depth articles of 1,000 words or more. The key? Offer value to your readers!
Why WordPress is a great SEO enabler
Gaining search engine traffic takes time. The key is to not be discouraged in the early stages and continue to put in the hard work!
WordPress has great SEO tools that can help produce articles that rank well for search. For example, the free version of Yoast SEO in WordPress allows you to choose one keyword to target per article. The pro version allows you to target multiple keywords. The tool provides a list of checkpoints in each article that you need to meet to ensure a strong ranking article. An example is below.
This, coupled with a fast site is crucial. Bluehost is a hosting platform that is the quickest in the market, with a load-time of just 406 milliseconds.
Download CricBlog’s FREE Cricket Blogging E-Book!
I explore Google Search and SEO tactics in greater detail in my free E-Book. I will take you through how I use tools such as SEMRush and TheHoth to create content ideas and execute them to increase my organic search traffic from 135 visitors in January to being on track for 3,000+ in July.
Thanks for reading!